Sunday, September 10, 2023

Lou Malnati's

Coming Home
Gold Coast, Chicago location (can't recall which one I visited since it's a big area)

 Here's a new one. The same relative who posted about Spaghetti Factory a few years back on Facebook now discovered something else Italian, but one that I have tried myself in the past, yet expanded since I went in their backyard on holiday in 2008. It's Lou Malnatis Pizzeria in the Chicago area. He and his dad used to manage Pizzeria Uno, which used to be in CNY themselves until recently, and we just got East of Chicago in Lyncourt. The younger Malnati broke out on his own in 1971, and has become a big name in the Windy City ever since. I remember the bits of tomato, but at least I can say I've gone. I was surprised to learn they were also in Arizona, as well as Milwaukee and (takeaway only) Marion Counties stretching further into the Midwest. While some may call it selling out by going out of state and even abroad, Malnatis next frontier could be the Northeast as you head east along the Great Lakes/I-90/I-80 corridor.  They could possibly open in the Tri-State, even though New York City is proud of their own pizza (just ask Messrs Fieri and Portnoy!). I may just zero in on Upstate (CNY for a start since that's what I know best, of course), while other states on the east coast would follow. Even the West Coast doesn't have it yet, with Maricopa County being the closest to there, so you'd have to go from LAX to Sky Harbour if you don't want to have it come in the post with special packaging I suppose.  Nothing beats having it there. Malnati would've wanted you to come in and enjoy his family's classic recipe, so may his spirit guide us there. Nothing like a Deep Dish.

Syracuse - Destiny USA, former Cantina Loredo

Albany - Wolf Road; former Bed, Bath and Beyond/ShopRite

New Hartford - Sangertown Square, NY 5 & 5A

Auburn - Fingerlakes Mall, NY 5 & US 20

Greece - The Mall at Greece Ridge, former TGI Fridays, NY 104

Amherst - former Best Buy, NY 78

Cortland - former flea market, Riverside Mall, NY 13 (too big for small space near road)

Watertown - former Christmas Tree Shops, Salmon Run Mall, NY 3

Syracuse (Fairmount) - former Big Boy/IHOP/Good Buddys Pub, West Genesee St

Ithaca - former Hobby Lobby, NY 13, 34 & 96

No comments:

Post a Comment