Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Weis Markets

Weis Markets - Fredericksburg, VA (Tidewater Trl)
Fredericksburg, VA location (ex-Bloom/Food Lion [due to Ahold Delhaize merger])

 Weis Markets are a chain from Susquehanna Valley. I first heard of them when I was in the mid-Hudson Valley, but they left just after I did! To boot, they had acquired Albany Public Markets up the river years before and perhaps I went to one of those (that would be a post all its own), although some of those became Grand Union (see earlier article). They entered the Southern Tier when they bought trailblazing local indie chain Giant in Broome County (not the same one owned by Ahold [Delhaize]), bringing them back to New York. I was in Binghamton on a bus layover between Ithaca and getting back to Syracuse.  Knowing ahead of time I could squeeze it in (although I had to use a cab and Uber because I wouldn't have enough time for the local bus in an area I don't know that well), I decided to head across town after two long decades.  It was a "Weis" choice.  While they may not go north of 607, they could expand around the area code and Pennsylvania (I scrambled on Bing and Google, but some spots I found at first wound up being too close to existing locations and competitors, which explains why they're vacant, but I can only go so far with areas that are I may never be 100 miles of again, and other chains would have to fill that vacuum). Hope they do try to get at least one or more of these to materialise so there are at least 200 locations total.


Ithaca - NY 13/34/96, former Tops

Cortland - US 11 & NY 41 - former Dollar Bazaar

Sidney - CR 23, former BK5 Great American

Horseheads - S Main St, former Ames (although it's 5 miles from existing store in Elmira, the only non-former Giant Weis in the state currently)

Greene - S Chenango St, former Ardees Great American

Somerset, PA - 313 Plank Rd & PA 31, former Bi-Lo (the former sister chain to P&C, not Tops [see earlier article on BI-LO])

Johnstown, PA - 2449 Bedford St, former Ideal Market, downtown

No comments:

Post a Comment